Monday, November 10, 2008

The Little Boy Who Cried Wolf

Monday mornings. They can be tough for lots of people. I usually always drive my kids to school on Mondays, just to give them a little extra time to chill in the morning. They are usually very busy over the weekend and need it. This weekend was no exception. A big sleepover at the gymnastics center with a bunch of friends. Playing all day Sunday. Saige was up very late working on a Science project. So when 7.20 rolled around this morning and Chase came downstairs I was a little surprised. I was going to let him sleep until 8. Right away though he started with the, "I don't feel good." Ugh. Not today. "I think you're just tired," I said. "No, " he insisted, "my stomach hurts." I have to be honest. I wasn't buying what he was selling. The Monday morning blues. The "sickness." It's called, not enough rest. That's what I am thinking. I had a lot I was planning on doing this morning. Being sick is one thing but telling me you are and when you're not is a whole other. I told him, "Buddy, I have a lot going on today, are you sure?" Oh, he was sure all right. He let me cancel an appointment, call my Mom to come over, agreed there would be no playing after school with anyone, agreed he would go to sleep for a while, my sweet and precious angel was ready to sign over his soccer cleats and cell phone to not have to go to school. I knew though, but what as a mother do you do? So I drove Saige to school and came back with the requisite Ginger ale and tucked him in his very comfy bed and told him he could have some toast later. Fifteen minutes later he was downstairs asking my Mom to play Scattegories with him while I went out. Hmmmm...... His stomach hurt of course, but he was well enough for a little game. I came home a couple hours later with bags full of groceries. He saw stuff he liked. It was time to come clean. Coming clean is the hardest part, right? You know at some point you are going to have to, you're not sure when. You can't keep up the charade forever because eventually you are going to get hungry or bored or something that is going happen to make the jig be up. So my baby walked over to me and with his huge eyes staring up at me said, "Mom, my stomach doesn't really hurt. I was tired. I didn't want to go to school today." Although happy with the honesty I was a little upset. "I told you how important this morning was to me Buddy, you let me cancel that appointment." He nodded. "I'm sorry." he said. So we made a turkey sandwich, turned on a show he liked and chalked it up as a personal day. He is my baby after all.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess that apple doesnt fall far from the tree.I never liked Monday mornings unfortunately my mom didnt believe in personal days.He is a lucky lucky little boy!

Sue Jacquette said...

Oh that gets my goat! You're a way nicer mom than I am, I would have taken away after school playtime, or the cell phone for the week as a punishment for wasting my time. I think my response would have been something like... Oh no she didn't!

Lula! said...

"Chalked it up to a personal day..." Amy, this was brilliant.

You are THE mom. Seriously. I love how you handled this.

One day when he's a dad he'll remember this and be all, "My mom is super cool!" 'Cause you are.

Anonymous said...

I believe in personal days too (on occasion) but I have also been known to drag my kid's ass to school as soon as they got over being "sick." Doesn't it seem like they do that on the days when you have the most going on?!

That said, I think sometimes it's nice to just chill and let your kids know that you get it. :) You are a good mom.

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE A GOOD MOM.

Simple Answer said...

We call them Frump Days. Days where you just. can't. I understand them. But they sure can inconvenience you!

Anonymous said...

My Chase has a habit of saying his stomach hurts probably 3 times a week. You are a cool mom. I fell for it once and stayed home from work with him and saw how "unsick" he really was. eg: jumping, laughing, playing, etc. So now, unless he vomits or has diarrehea sp? he can't stay home until he's a little older and I can trust him.

Anonymous said...

Lucky for us my kids still think I can tell they are lying by their face. I point and say, Uh-oh.... I see it. The lie.

Hopefully this works for a good long while.