Thursday, May 29, 2008

Monkeys with No Fear




The last two weeks have been ropes course at the kids school. I go and help for both of them. It's a fun day. It's very interesting to see how different kids act on the different climbs. The ones who scoot up like monkeys, the ones who try their very hardest, sweating and huffing and puffing and can only make it up a little bit and the very few who kind of give it a try and decide it's to hard and come down. Sometimes the ones you expect to be afraid the very least get scared. These courses are high up there and some of them are very difficult to climb. A lot of times the ones who get scared end up trying again after they have done everything else and making it to the top. Both Saige and Chase were scooters. Not a care in the world. Just boogied on up there. There is one that the 4th graders have that the 3rd graders don't and it looks scary. They have to climb up a ladder and go across a rope bridge then climb up a telephone pool and walk across another horizontal telephone pole way up in the air. They are harnessed in but there is nothing for them to hold on to. It takes guts. Saige banged it out. I was really proud of her. It reminded me of a couple years ago when I got the brilliant idea of going to a flying trapeze class with my brother Mark. The whole time before Mark kept questioning me, "Is this a good idea?" I kept assuring him it was. That is until I started to climb the rickety ladder to get up to the trapeze. It was at that point that I wondered what was wrong with me. Why would I do this? I got to the top and was fixated on the ground below. The helper guy kept saying, "Don't worry about down Amy. Just look up." So I did. I got through it. I did it like four times. The basic swing out, hook your knees, swing hanging upside down and flip down. My brother on the other hand became the star of the class. What a show off he was (are you reading this Mark?) what with his "catches." It's a good thing I had kicked his butt at a yoga class right before or I might have felt bad about myself. Cause we're not competitive at all. Not even a little bit. Neither are Saige and Chase.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What yoga class beforehand? I don't remember that. Is there any proof? I know there is a photo of me on the trapeze being caught by one of the instructors. Amy took it herself from the sidelines while she sipped a cocktail with the other who were not chosen to attempt being caught. Who? Me? Competitive? I have no idea what you are talking about. Amy, want a rematch this summer? Love you, Mark

Amy said...

I was totally picked to be caught. I chose not to. There's a difference. You know exactly what yoga class and yes, I'd like a rematch in both. You name the time, I'll be there. LYTB, Amy

Anonymous said...

One word, St**** Mark

Amy said...

I know I'm an idiot, but I have no idea what that word is. Txt it to me if you can't put it on here. I never claimed to be the smart sibling, just the best looking.